Friday, March 24, 2017

Splendor by Anna Godbersen Review

WARNING: THERE MAY BE SPOILERS BELOW

“Sometimes ends are in fact beginnings; beginnings ends.”, Splendor, Anna Godbersen
New Beginnings.
Shocking Revelations.

Unexpected Endings.



As spring turns into summer, Elizabeth relishes her new roles as a young wife, while her sister, Diana, searches for adventure abroad. But when a surprising clue about their father's death comes to light, the Holland girls wonder at what cost a life of splendor comes.



Carolina Broad, society's newest darling, fans a flame from her past, oblivious to how it might burn her future. Penelope Schoonmaker is finally Manhattan royalty - but when a real prince visits the city, she covets a title that comes with a crown. Her husband, Henry, bravely went to war, only to discover that his father's rule extends well beyond New York's shores and that fighting for love may prove a losing battle.

In the dramatic conclusion to the bestselling Luxe series, New York's most dazzling socialites chase dreams, cling to promises, and tempt fate. As society watches what will become of the city's oldest families and newest fortunes, one question remains: Will its stars fade away or will they shine ever brighter?


Thank God this series is over! I was never as taken with this series as I was by Bright Young Things, but mostly went through it because it was a fun read with pretty dresses and drama. I suppose I should feel a little melancholy- after all, if you'll remember Rumors was the first proper review I ever wrote on this blog- but honestly I was relieved to be finishing it. In this case, I don't know if I should have dragged out this series over the course of 4 months. Sure, I did it with The A Circuit and Bright Young Things, and I'm doing it with the Dublin Murder Squad, but I actually liked those series (yes, even The A Circuit). These books are like a marginally better version of the Royal Circle series, except they don't offend me as much and the thought of continuing on didn't make me want to cry. 

As usual, I didn't care about Diana or Elizabeth. Elizabeth bored me as a character from the beginning, and Diana just annoyed me. I realize now after reading The Awakening (which I'll talk about in my wrap-up) that Diana reminds of Edna Pontellier. I can tolerate Diana a bit more, though, because she didn't have children to abandon. But in this book characters I used to find interesting or at least not annoying bored me. Henry's chapters lost their dry, subtle humor making them hard to read without getting distracted, and Penelope lost all interesting qualities just to chase after some prince. The only chapters I still found interesting were Carolina's. 

One of the things that annoyed me the most about this book was that the setting felt a decade off. Bobbed hair, bohemian characteristics in Diana, and naked calves made me think more of the 1910s than the 1900. Maybe 1915? Even the ending seemed more geared towards the 1910s, since the old world that Diana is fleeing didn't fully vanish until after World War One. Which brings me to a part that annoyed me. Diana is getting a lecture by some writing friend we've never heard of before about how as soon as she leaves America she will be awoken to the world. Unless Diana wants to stay in Paris her whole life, she'd be disappointed that Europe was actually not much different than America during that time, except with an extra level of snobbery coming from the existence of a titled class. Sure, Paris was artsy and bohemian, but Paris has always been the exception in Europe and not the rule. And I love Paris, but I wouldn't call only living in Paris very sophisticated, anyway. 

Lots of other revelations were in this book did nothing for me. Everything felt to conveniently wrapped up in a nice little bow, and there were some heel-face turns that did nothing except annoy me. I'm just so happy I finished these books. My series thoughts will be up soon, and I'll be able to expound more on my thoughts there, though I will tell you this- this is my least favorite book in The Luxe.

5.5-6 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment