Monday, February 27, 2017

Bright Young Things by Anna Godbersen- Series Thoughts


This series, if you don't know, takes place in New York in the summer of 1929, the last year of the Jazz Age, just a few months before the infamous Black Thursday. We have Astrid Donal, a flapper who is engaged to Charlie Grey, a bootlegger, Cordelia Grey, the half sister of Charlie Grey, who goes to New York to find her father, only to discover he's an infamous bootlegger, and Letty Larkspur, the best friend of Cordelia who runs to New York to become a star. 

I had a lot of fun with these books. I love the Jazz Age, and enjoyed getting lost in the world of these girls, as they try and make it through this last summer before the 30s hit and the world was plunged into recession. Most of my critiques surrounding Godbersen's writing have already been touched upon in my reviews, so I won't mention it too much. My consistently favorite character was probably Astrid, followed by Letty. I mentioned in my The Lucky Ones review that I disliked Cordelia the most because her parts sound like they could be interesting, but end up disappointing as the series continues on and we get more love than bootlegging action.

My favorite book was probably the first one, Bright Young Things, and my least favorite book was by far The Lucky Ones. The ending was a disappointment, as you could read about in my review for The Lucky Ones. The best part about these books were by far the opening scenes (or, in the case of The Lucky Ones, the closing scene), where Godbersen takes on this Fitzgerald-esque writing style, and really it's just beautiful. Overall, I highly recommend this series for a little Jazz Age fun. Already, I'm seeking out a series to fill the hole in my life Bright Young Things has left.

Bright Young Things: 8 out of 10
Beautiful Days: 8 out of 10
The Lucky Ones: 7.5 out of 10

Overall Series Rating: 7.5-8 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment