Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Unpopular Bookish Opinions

I feel like this book tag/survey/whatever needs to happen so we can get to know each other through what we hate. Also tags are super popular right now, so I'm just hopping on that bandwagon. Maybe I'll do a different tag each Tuesday. That might be fun, right? This tag was originally created by TheBookArcher, so here's a link to that 
video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYfgq8HgDc0

Okay, enough preamble. Here are my unpopular bookish opinions!
*Disclaimer: My opinions are not necessarily your opinions. Your mileage may vary. Batteries not included.*

1. A popular book or series that you didn't like.
People are going to hate me for this but the Harry Potter series! I read the first book and didn't really like it that much, so I never felt the need to read the whole series. So no, I don't know what Hogwarts House I'm in, and no, I don't really care either.
House Snufflypuff! House Shittywinkle! House Smorgasbord!

2. A popular book or series that everyone else seems to hate but you love. 
Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee. While I wouldn't say I loved it, it's a book most people never gave the chance it deserved due to the media attention it got. My only real reservation for reading this book was that I was a bit concerned about potential elder abuse that might have resulted in this book being published, which I really hope wasn't the case. I'm still glad I read it nonetheless.
No snark because this is actually a pretty good book

3. A love triangle where the main character ended up with the person you did NOT want them to end up with (warn ppl for spoilers) OR an OTP that you don't like. 

I mean, I would heed that spoiler warning, but if you haven't read The Hunger Games yet what are you doing? Christ's sake, even I've read it!
I think I'm going to say Katniss and Peeta from The Hunger Games (obviously) for this one, because I liked Gale more than Peeta. Actually, anyone would have been better than Peeta.
I mean you both kinda suck

4. A popular book genre that you hardly reach for. 
Oh God so many. I think for this one I'm going to say paranormal, more specifically paranormal romance. Especially paranormal romance. Just doesn't really appeal to me. Also, I don't like romance/chick lit very much because it bores me. LGBT contemporary isn't really my thing either (though if someone can recommend me a great book about drag queens that'd be awesome k thx).
With covers like that how can I resist right? Angel boy take me now!

5. A popular or beloved character that you do not like.

Both Hazel and Augustus from The Fault in Our Stars. Neither of them seem like pleasant people to be around. 
And because I'm an unapologetic Unwind fangirl and want to include a more fandom related character, I also despise Cam. There, I said it. Even after UnDivided.
You're both awful people

6. A popular author that you can't seem to get into. 

Hands down Matthew Quick. I see a lot of people putting John Green for this one, and although I hated The Fault in Our Stars, I haven't really read anything else by him. But yes, Matthew Quick. I know a ton of people love him, but his YA books are so The Catcher in the Rye-sy I can't deal with him. He obviously wants to be a voice of this generation like Salinger was after he published The Catcher in the Rye, and as a result his protagonists are insufferable. No, he's not for me.
Just. Stop.

7. A popular book trope that you're tired of seeing. (examples "lost princess", corrupt ruler, love triangles, etc.)

I can think of two that really piss me off. The first one is overdone villains. When a lot of authors, especially fantasy writers or historical fiction writers, want to write villains, they feel the need to add traits like them being sexist or racist, as if to prove that they are indeed the villains. I feel like this is a tactic to avoid people from cheering on the villain (doesn't really work on me, when the main character pisses me off enough I start rooting for the villain mostly because it's more fun that way and also the enemy of my enemy is my friend). This especially pisses me off in historical fiction works, when everyone thought things that we don't consider to be PC, but that was the way society thought back then and if you can't handle it, stop writing historical fiction.

I also hate it when authors make strong female characters that are overly bitchy- but it's okay, because they're only bitchy to assholes, which is basically every character who doesn't like them in the book. It's obvious that the author just made them like that is because they want to write a tough-talking, no-nonsense female character but they don't actually want to give them unpopular opinions or make them a full out bitch. Also, so that everyone who doesn't like them as a character is just as horrible a person as the characters that don't like them in the book. Just bad character building in my opinion.

8. A popular series that you have no interest in reading.
I would say the rest of the Harry Potter series, but I read the first book and I already used it for the first question, so I'm going to say all of Cassandra Clare's million and one Shadowhunter series. I have no interest in the Mortal Instruments series. I have no interest in the Infernal Devices series. I have no interest in the Dark Artifices series (the fuck does that even mean anyway? An artifice is a device used to trick someone; it makes no sense in that context- but then again, none of the series names do anyway, they just sound Gothic and pretentious). I mean, talk about being a one trick pony- even Rowling is attempting to write crime books. The only reason why I might even consider reading these books is because the bad reviews are pretty funny on Goodreads. Also, I don't believe in plagiarism or publishing fanfiction.
Seriously, and these aren't even all of her books. I would say she's beating a dead horse, but it's more like beating a cash cow since all of her books do stupidly well.

9. The saying goes "The book is always better than the movie", but what movie or T.V. show adaptation do you prefer more than the book?
I think the movie version of The Princess Bride is better than the book. I just preferred the framing device for the movie more than the book, and the way the story was told was also better in the movie. I also heard that Harold and Maude (one of my favorite movies of all time) was based off a book, but the book apparently went out of print years ago so I can't compare the two.
*sigh* I adore this movie

What unpopular opinions do you have? Let me know down below and together, we can commiserate. Safe space, you guys, safe space.

No comments:

Post a Comment