Monday, July 10, 2017

Popular Authors I Haven't Read Yet

This was originally going to be a list of popular books I haven't read, but once I actually got to that part, I didn't know what to write about. I mean, I haven't read books like The Mortal Instruments series, but I also haven't read anything else by Cassandra Clare. Every time I came up with a popular book I haven't read yet, I would think to myself "oh, mind as well just put down the author because it's easier". So this basically turned into a list of authors because if I read one book by a specific popular author I will usually read another book. Quality control and all. So this basically turned into a list of 10 authors I haven't yet read. Each are in one of three categories: definitely going to read, someday probably going to read, and probably not ever going to read.

Gillian Flynn
  This one is one that's definitely going to happen soon, since I'm currently in the midst of reading one of her books. However, I haven't actually completed a Gillian Flynn novel, so it counts. I know she's a widely beloved thriller writer, but her stuff isn't usually the kind of thriller I pick up. Also, I was kind of turned off of her after I attempted Gone Girl, which couldn't hold my attention at all (of course, I only got about 20 pages in). But so many thriller lovers love her so I am giving her another shot, but that's why you haven't seen any real references to Ms Flynn's work pop up in any of my thriller reviews.

Sarah J Maas
  Unlike the above, I think I can safely say this one will probably never happen. Probably because my definition of hell is a long ass high fantasy novel. No, I don't care that what she writes is technically "fantasy-lite" or whatever all you fantasy fans say, if it takes place in another world, it's high fantasy. And honestly, her books seem pretty generically fantasy, too. Of course, that's probably just me being stupid in the genre, because to me, the majority of fantasy out there all sounds the same. Again, if you like her stuff, all the more power to you, but personally, no matter the hype, I'm not going to pick up a 400 book and be bored meaningless because it's apparently really good and addictive fantasy when I don't even like fantasy in the first place.

Cassandra Clare
  This is another one I'm pretty sure will never happen. I mean, this chick has managed to write like a million books about the same goddamn thing. I mean, I guess I can't blame her for writing the same thing but kind of different because people keep buying them, but I feel like she kind of dug herself into a hole there because now she'll can never publish a serious book because she'll be known as the Shadowhunter writer forever. And that's not even a good thing, because let's all remember that The Mortal Instruments started because of a Harry Potter fanfiction. But yes, all her books sound the same- hell, even the titles of the series are basically interchangeable. Also, I have serious issues with the fact that if I even think about picking up Lady Midnight I have to slog my way through like five other series just to read one goddamn book. So at this point my boycott of Cassandra Clare is one of principle, which always sounds better than her books just not appealing to me at all.

Kasie West/Jenny Han/Morgan Matson/Stephanie Perkins
  These writers get grouped together because they're all the same really. Cutesy chick-lit authors who like to write about sweet romances. I don't have a problem with this per say, it's just not my taste in reading material. Not to mention, their plots just never really appealed to me, and honestly with the case of some of them- Morgan Matson and Kasie West- they write so much I wouldn't know where to start even if I did want to read them just to see what the hype is all about. Especially Kasie West- I swear to God she puts out a book every six months, they all look like, and their summaries just blend together into the same exact thing. The only one I'd be tempted by is Jenny Han, since she does write some things that are the fun, Mean Girl-esque kind of chick lit that I don't hate the idea of, and I know how widely beloved her To All the Boys I've Loved Before/Lara Jean trilogy is. Of course, I don't think I'd read it any time soon. The funny thing is, I do casually enjoy drama fueled, fluffy books when I read historical fiction, but that's probably because I just like being transported to a different time period- hence my liking of Anna Godbersen.

Rainbow Rowell
  For some reason, I've never had any real desire to read anything by Rainbow Rowell. Eleanor and Park I've stayed away from because I don't want to read any books I know I'm going to hate, and I also kind of resent that whenever I want to listen some Joy Division or XTC or whatever on Youtube half the comments are "Eleanor and Park brought me here" or odd references to the book. Also, Fangirl never appealed to me because I'm not really given into fangirlish tendencies. Also, her adult books don't really look that interesting either, so there's that. I don't know. This one might happen eventually.

Stephen King
  I hate that I haven't read the King yet. I want to read him really badly, hell, I even have a collection of his short stories sitting on my Kindle account, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Also, I don't even know where to start with his stuff. His pseudonym stuff from the early 70s like Running Man? His detective fiction? Hell, maybe I should start out huge and just read It or The Shining. Or Carrie. I am tempted on Carrie. I think that's my problem, though, especially when authors have a ton of work and everyone's got their own idea as to which book to pick up first, to get the ultimate Stephen King experience.

Libba Bray
  I don't know about this one. I'm not a historical fantasy fan, and I feel like I'll end up nitpicking the hell out of it. While I'm probably never going to read Beauty Queens, that's just not going to happen, and I'm also probably not going to read her most famous trilogy- the Gemma Doyle books- since I'm not really that into books that take place during the Victorian times- I prefer the 20th century. However, The Diviners does intrigue me because, you know, the 1920s and all that jazz. At the same time, I'm wary of falling in love with a series only to find that the next book is on, like, a permanent hiatus. So yeah. This one may happen, it may not.

I mean, there are other popular authors that aren't on here, but I didn't want to make this list really long. These are really just big ones or ones that it might be shocking that I haven't read yet. So what about you? Any popular authors you have read yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment