Saturday, October 28, 2017

Salaam, Love edited by Ayesha Mattu and Nura Maznavi Mini Review

From the editors of the groundbreaking anthology Love, InshAllah comes a provocative new exploration of the most intimate parts of Muslim mens lives. Muslim men are stereotyped as either oversexed Casanovas willing to die for seventy-two virgins in heaven or controlling, big-bearded husbands ready to rampage at the hint of dishonor. The truth is, there are millions of Muslim men trying to figure out the complicated terrain of love, sex, and relationships just like any other American man. In Salaam, Love, Ayesha Mattu and Nura Maznavi provide a space for American Muslim men to speak openly about their romantic lives, offering frank, funny, and insightful glimpses into their hearts-and bedrooms. The twenty-two writers come from a broad spectrum of ethnic, racial, and religious perspectives-including orthodox, cultural, and secular Muslims-reflecting the strength and diversity of their faith community and of America. By raising their voices to share stories of love and heartbreak, loyalty and betrayal, intimacy and insecurity, these Muslim men are leading the way for all men to recognize that being open and honest about their feelings is not only okay-its intimately connected to their lives and critical to their happiness and well-being.

This is an anthology of Muslim American men talking about their experiences with romance, something I likely wouldn't have picked up if I didn't have a class that made this required reading. Not that I have any problem with the subject matter, but because, like most people, I have middling luck with anthologies. In fact, I don't know anyone who actively seeks out anthologies or even really likes them. Most people I know just buy them because they like or recognize one or two of the authors and figured what the hell. 

The problem with anthologies is that, for every great entry, there's a dud. In this book, I found some stories I really liked and connected with, and some I didn't care for at all. Some of the writers had wonderfully distinct voices- especially the African American writers- some did not. Some I found sweet and endearing, some I did not. Like with many anthologies, I only really liked one or two and, on the flip side, only really hated one or two. Otherwise, I felt pretty lukewarm on most of them. 

It is interesting to hear Muslim men speak on their beliefs about love, especially since I rarely hear from male Muslims. Sure, there's books like The Kite Runner, but I find that most Muslim books published in America are written by women and from a female point of view, and unfortunately, Muslim men are often villianized. So I liked that aspect. And the anthology is easy to read, most of the voices present striking me as the kind of people I'd probably hang out with in real life if given the chance. I don't know if I really understand the inner lives of Muslim men after reading this, but it was interesting enough if just for the peek into the lives of others. What can I say, I like that kind of stuff.


8 out of 10 

No comments:

Post a Comment