Wednesday, January 3, 2018

2017 Year End Wrap-Up

I know 2016 was the fashionable year to hate, but I actually had a great 2016, both personally and reading-wise. I read a ton, branched out into genres I didn’t have any interest in prior, and found many of my new favorite books. This year, not so much. I relapsed into the genres that interested me because I realized late last year how little I actually enjoyed reading almost all YA fantasy and science fiction, and how adult fantasy and science fiction appealed to me even less. So I stuck to contemporaries and mysteries and, of course, historical fiction this year. Here's my final breakdown for 2017!


Page total: 63,042
Average rating: 7 out of 10 (rounded up by not much)
Genre breakdown: 55 historical fiction
                 46 contemporaries
                 45 mystery-thrillers
                 14 nonfiction
                 5 horror
                 5 science fiction
                 5 dystopians
                 4 fantasy
                 4 paranormal
                 3 graphic novels
                 2 magical realism/surrealism
                 2 plays
                 1 romance/chick-lit
Of those, 103 were adult, 82 were YA, 4 were middle grade, and 2 were children's
Total: 191

I didn't read as many books as I did last year (I put last year's final count as 197 books). The most notable change, though, is that I read more adult books than YA this year, when last year I read almost all YA. I've been enjoying adult books a lot more lately than I have YA. I will stick around for some YA- I'm not doing a year without YA or anything like that-, but not as much as I used to read and I won't actively seek it out like I used to. Other than reading more adult books in 2018, I want to read more obscure fiction, which I've been enjoying a lot, and more classics (which I feel like is bookish equivalent of the going to the gym resolution). But that's enough of me babbling. Here's to one hell of a 2018!

Let me know how your 2017 went. I'm always curious to hear how others reading year went. Hopefully yours was better than mine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment