Saturday, January 13, 2018

By Light We Knew Our Names by Anne Valente Review

WARNING: THERE MAY BE SPOILERS BELOW


“We met among tall pines, separate blood, divided by arms and hands and hearts and lungs that all held the same wounds...”- By Light We Knew Our Names, Anne Valente
From ghosts to pink dolphins to a fight club of young women who practice beneath the Alaskan aurora borealis, By Light We Knew Our Names examines the beauty and heartbreak of the world we live in. Across thirteen stories, this collection explores the thin border between magic and grief.

My first proper book review of 2018! I haven't really been in the reading mood since, well, the start of the year, but I do have a lot of books that I am collecting to read, including quite a few new releases. 

Anyway, By Light We Knew Our Names is a collection of short stories, which I've been in the mood for lately. I was attracted to it because I loved the cover and I've been in the mood for a little magical realism lately, and I find that collections of short stories are the best if I want my thirst for magical realism sated. While I often find full-length magical realism novels hard to get through- which is why I've avoided books like One Hundred Years of Solitude or Like Water For Chocolate- short stories are an easy to read taste of magic, which is what drew me to this collection.

And it's a good solid collection. I mean, it is definitely a debut collection, with the messages behind each story a bit more sledgehammer in approach than I would have liked them being. The meanings behind each story were fairly obvious, which is nice but it is a little atypical of the genre. To me, the biggest appeal of magical realism is how much the mystical aspects cloak the meaning of the story, forcing the reader to come to his own conclusions about what the author thinks vs what the reader thinks the story means. In this, the meanings were fairly obvious, and all of them had to do with the same two subjects- loss and growing up- played over and over again. 

But Valente is a really talented writer. I especially loved the stories where she wrote in first person plural- Dear Amelia, Until Our Shadows Claim Us, and a bit of Everything That Was Ours. Besides those stories, I also really liked Latchkey, Terrible Angels, Minivan, and If Everything Fell Silent, Even Sirens. But my absolute favorite story in the collection was Not For Ghosts or Daffodils. I just loved the language and the characters in that story. I also need to mention that the last story, Mollusk, Membrane, Human Heart has such a gut wrenching conclusion that it was almost hard for me to read. 

There were a few misses, though. I found the title story, By Light We Knew Our Names, to be the biggest one. It was a cool idea, but wasn't that great in execution, and it was hard for me to like any of the characters. A Very Compassionate Baby was another miss- it made me think of that Edward Gorey short story about the horrible baby, though. Other than that, there were a few stories that didn't really do much for me, like To A Place Where We Take Flight, which I wanted to like more than I did, as well as A Taste of Tea, which had the same problem. 

Like with many short stories, I find that the best part is the title. I adore the titles of these stories, they're like one line poems. My favorites are probably Until Our Shadows Claim Us, Not For Ghosts or Daffodils, and Everything That Was Ours, as well as the title story. 

I do wish that there was a bit more of the arctic feel the cover promised. I love winter-y stories around this time of year (big surprise).

So, in the end this is a fine collection of short stories. I did like more of them than I didn't like, but at the same time the stories aren't as memorable as other short story collections I've read, and the titles of the stories are often better than the actual content. Still, there weren't any stories I hated outright. I'd recommend it.


8 out of 10

If you liked this book, you may also like:

No comments:

Post a Comment