Friday, February 9, 2018

January 2018 Wrap-Up

Wow, the first month of 2018 is over! I don't know about you, but I've been having a horrible 2018 so far which is partly why this wrap-up took forever to come out (it's all because of one fucking class too). Happily, the only thing that is going well right now is my reading- I didn't read a ton, but I liked almost everything I read this month! That never happens! God, I think I'm becoming like one of those reviewers who gives every book she reads 4-5 stars...


By Light We Knew Our Names by Anne Valente 8/10 (224 pg)
My Review: By Light We Knew Our Names by Anne Valente
  Starting off the month of short stories was By Light We Knew Our Names. This is a debut collection of magical realism short stories, and it does have the same problems that a lot of debut short story collections do- heavy-handed imagery, repetitive themes, better titles than stories- but Valente does have real talent that comes out in this collection, and I'd be interested in checking out her full length novel to see how her writing has improved.

The End of Days by Jenny Erpenbeck 4.5/10 (320 pg)
My Review: The End of Days by Jenny Erpenbeck
  This was my first disappointment of the year, which is a shame. I should love this novel, which is meant to be a sweeping 20th century novel about the many lives and deaths one woman goes through. However, it wasn't very well written and was too confusing for me to enjoy it. Perhaps it's better in its native German, and I still want to read Erpenbeck's Visitation, but likely not for a while.

Love Is a Dog from Hell by Charles Bukowski 9/10 (312 pg)
  The fact that The Buk is one of my favorite poets is something that I don't think I should be too proud of. His detractors say he's pretentious, cynical to the point of trying too hard, and misanthropic, and I can't say I wholly disagree with them but I've always loved his work. He can write the dirtiest poetry and at the same time, can come up with the most lovely turns of phrases I have ever encountered. I was happy that this poetry collection includes two of my favorite poems- the second version of The Crunch and Alone With Everybody. This isn't the most complete collection of his works and certainly doesn't have all of my favorite poems, but it's a great collection, and I'd recommend it to anyone interested in reading Charles Bukowski. 


The Maze at Windermere by Gregory Blake Smith 8.5/10 (352 pg)
My Review: The Maze at Windermere by Gregory Blake Smith
  This was my first and so far, favorite new release this year, and finishing it actually energized me in some way, like it was a sign that it would be a good year. Even better too, because this made my short list of really, really want to read. It's not a perfect book by any means, but it was really enjoyable to read. This is a study of Newport Rhode Island over three centuries as the town grows from a Quaker colony to the old money resort we know it as today.

Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma 8/10 (reread) (454 pg)
My Review: Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma (read in Feb 2017)
  I reread this novel after writing my most surprising of 2017 list, because it made me really, really want to read it again. I was in a minor slump the first half of the month and I wanted something kind of ridiculous. And I enjoyed reading it just as much as I did the first time.

Beautiful Star and Other Stories by Andrew Swanston 8/10 (186 pg)
My Review: Beautiful Star & Other Stories by Andrew Swanston
  This is a wonderful collection of short stories tailor-made for the history lover, as each are based off an event that, while interesting, has been mostly forgotten about over the years. It's very easy to read- almost a bit too easy, if I'm being honest- but a perfect one-sitting collection overall. Recommended to any history buff.

The Unfinished World by Amber Sparks 8.5-9/10 (240 pg)
My Review: The Unfinished World by Amber Sparks
  Sparks is one of the most talented magical realism short story writers out there, no contest. And, while I did love her collection of strange and unusual short stories, I didn't love it. Sparks is a masterful writer, and one of the best contemporary technical writers I have ever encountered. Everything she does is right out of a how to write manual. But I couldn't connect with her stories at an emotional level the way the collection wants me to. They have stuck with me since reading, but I wish I was able to connect with them more while actually in the process of reading her collection.


Thunderhead by Neal Shusterman 8-8.5/10 (504 pg)
My Review: Thunderhead by Neal Shusterman
  I think Neal Shusterman should work for me, because I'm probably going to end up giving him my money for as long as he keeps writing. While it is true that Arc of a Scythe so far isn't my favorite thing he's ever done- it's probably my fourth favorite of his series so far, after Unwind, the Skinjacker trilogy, and the Antsy Bonano books- and if I were to make a list of my favorite Shusterman books it would be pretty far down on the list. That being said, it's Shusterman, so I will read it. Thunderhead is the second Arc of a Scythe book and it's about a utopia society where death has been eradicated.


The Convictions of John Delahunt by Andrew Hughes 5/10 (352 pg)
My Review: The Convictions of John Delahunt by Andrew Hughes
  This was my second disappointment of the month, and I barely remember reading it even though it wasn't that long ago. I picked it up because it seemed like the kind of book I would love given that it's a dark historical fiction novel about the murder of a child in Dublin, with dark humor elements. It's a good story, but not one that's particularly well-told, and I don't really recommend it.

Sisters by Raina Telgemeier 7/10 (203 pg) (reread)
  I was in the mood for a graphic novel and figured, hey, this would do. I don't really have a ton to say about it except that I liked it as much as I did the first time I read it back in 2016.

A Visit From the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan 9/10 (341 pg)
My Review: A Visit From the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan
  In a month of damn good books, this is my favorite. Which is completely shocking, given that I put one of her other books on my worst of 2017 list. Well, shit, maybe I should give more of the authors on my worst lists another chance. Egan is such an inventive writer, and this novel is when she is at the top of her game. It's fun to read, and is well deserving of its Pulitzer. This novel, for those who somehow haven't heard of it, is about a punk rocker and the people connected to him. 

The Rathbones by Janice Clark 8/10 (384 pg)
My Review: The Rathbones by Janice Clark
  This was my last book of the month, and one that was good and creepy and I liked it plenty. It was dark and creepy and inventive. It wasn't the best book I've ever read, and the Gothic feel was forced in some places, but I really liked the characters and the atmosphere in the book. Of course, given that the book is about a creepy whaling family in Connecticut, it was hard for me not to like it.


Page total: 3,872
Average rating: 7.5-8/10
Genre breakdown: 4 historical fiction
                 2 magical realism
                 1 poetry book
                 1 horror
                 1 graphic novel (memoir)
                 1 dystopian
                 1 contemporary
                 1 romance/chick-lit
Of those 9 were adult, 2 were YA, and 1 was middle grade

I only read 12 books this month, which was expected if low, but I had an average rating of 7.5-8 out of 10! That means I solidly liked every book I read this month! My first review of February will be up soon, so get excited for that. I've got a lot to read in February and we're already 11 days into the month.

No comments:

Post a Comment