Friday, February 24, 2017

Envy by Anna Godbersen Review

WARNING: THERE MAY BE SPOILERS BELOW

“He was a mystery to her, and every time she tried to solve him it caused her a little more pain. But when she tired to give him up he pursued her in her thoughts, stronger each time.”- Envy, Anna Godbersen
Jealous whispers. Old rivalries. New betrayals.
Two months after Elizabeth Holland's dramatic homecoming, Manhattan eagerly awaits her return to the pinnacle of society. However, when she refuses to rejoin her sister Diana's side, those watching New York's favorite family begin to whisper that all is not as it seems behind the stately doors of No. 17 Gramercy Park.
In this thrilling installment of Anna Godbersen's bestselling Luxe series, Manhattan's most envied residents appear to have everything they desire: Wealth. Beauty. Happiness. But sometimes the most practiced smiles hide the most scandalous secrets. . . .
I was a lot more excited to get into this book than I was to get into Rumors, but since Rumors pleasantly surprised me I started to look at the series with fresh eyes. Sadly, a whole lotta nothing happened in this book.
Basically, in this book, Elizabeth, Diana, Henry, Penelope, and Carolina all go to Florida, along with Teddy Cutting, Leland Broucard, and Penelope's brother Grayson. And nothing happens. Well, relationship drama happens, but we don't care about that do we? Elizabeth mopes over Will- normally I would feel for her, but because I didn't like Will I got annoyed with her quickly- and the constant will-they-or-won't-they with Henry and Diana got old real fast. I didn't like Penelope or Carolina, but as characters they had far more interesting storylines so I felt as if I could get into their parts more. As a whole, Envy suffered horribly from Middle Book Syndrome. I usually find the third book in quartets to get this the most, and this book was no exception. I think it's because The Luxe kind of functioned as a prequel, and then Rumors acted like the real first book, leaving Envy as the middle book had it been a trilogy.
This book didn't pick up until they got out of Florida, in like the last 100 pages. And then everything happened at once. Both Henry and Teddy joined the army, and I applaud Teddy's decision for it, though I'm a bit suspicious of Henry's. Seriously, though, the last 50 pages are absolutely insane. Especially Elizabeth's parts. Godbersen crammed a whole book's worth of action in like 25 pages. Also, poor Mr Longhorn. Just, poor Mr Longhorn. I actually liked him.
The writing had picked up, though. I liked the transitions between the clothing descriptions (which were fabulous) and the action. Henry's parts were the funniest, and they actually made me laugh out loud at times. I do wonder if Anna Godbersen only has a set amount of different adjectives she could use in each book, because that's her biggest flaw writing-wise. Small frame, wild curls, and bee-stung lips are among the descriptions used several times by her, typically to describe the same character. Also, I don't really get what's so great about Diana. All the guys lust over her, but she just seems kind of generic? I don't know.
So this book wasn't the best in the series. I mean, it was still better than the first book, probably because the ending saved it. The ending is one of the reasons why I'm compelled to pick up the last book. That's how Godbersen hooks you, I think.

6.5-7 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment